We're always trying to improve the products we offer in our cafes to be as sustainable as possible and to spread awareness to students and the wider community about how they can lessen their impact on the planet.
Curtin Environmental Action Network
This is a community for Curtin students who are interested taking action on climate change, pursuing environmental initiatives and allows like minded students to connect and stay updated on events, protests, beach cleans ups, petitions or just reducing the single-use plastics in your daily life.
Guild Representatives frequently attend and organise several Climate Strikes to bring the climate emergency to the government’s attention and to spread awareness with other students.
We'll share all events Climate Strikes in the Curtin Environmental Action Network.
We encourage all patrons to bring a reusable cup to enjoy our delicious coffee and we've switched a lot of our packaging from plastic to more sustainable, compostable materials that can be taken to a facility and turned into mulch for our gardens. Compostable cutlery and packaging needs to go into our green compost bins to make this happen!
Since launching our WRITE Solutions Australia composting bins in October 2019, more an 9,000kg of organic waste has been collected and turned into compost. This has prevented the equivalent emissions of 300 cars being taken off the road for a whole two weeks!
Did you know
Here's some facts about sustainability, recycling and the environment.
- Glass is one of the materials which can be recycled infinitely, plastic is limited to around seven times as the quality of the plastic decreases each time
- Not all plastics are recyclable - look for the recycling symbol with the number 1, 2 or 5 on the packaging itself (not the label)
- The energy saved by recycling one plastic bottle can power a computer for 25 minutes
- Recycling one aluminium can saves enough energy to power a 100watt light bulb for 20 hours
- Making an aluminium can out of used aluminium only requires 5% of the energy of making a can from scratch